ads1

Monday, November 4, 2013

Apple Streusel Cake Recipe - Apple Cake Recipe with Streusel Topping

This Apple Streusel Cake is a popular recipe from the Hummingbird baking book that my friend Darsh baked a few times for us. I love the streusel topping and had really enjoyed the blueberry streusel muffin the first time I baked it. Through the time we had to pack up our place in Singapore and move to Australia, I was barely cooking and not baking at all and one day, I was bit so bad my the baking bug that I went to the nearest supermarket, bought the ingredients, and baked this cake. It was so soft and delicious that I had to share the recipe here, even though the pictures are what you can describe, as best, as homely.


The sponge cake that forms the base of this Apple Cake is delicious, although it dried out a bit on cooling. While microwaving it for 10 seconds before serving can solve this issue temporarily, I think adding a bit more liquid to the batter should help. I have adjusted the ingredients accordingly so hope this cake turns out perfect for you, if you decide to bake it one fine day as a result of a baking bug like mine. 


This quantity of streusel topping was also too much so I've adjusted that as well. However, having too much streusel topping on hand is not necessarily a bad thing. You can refrigerate it for up to 2 weeks and use it for another batch of cake or muffins. Check out more cake recipes here including one of my favourites - sticky date cake with caramel sauce

APPLE STREUSEL CAKE RECIPE


The popular apple streusel cake recipe from the Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook

Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 40 mins
Yield: 1 8" Cake

Ingredients:
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, soft and at room temperature
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup minus 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup of full fat milk
- 2-3 Granny smith apples, peeled and sliced thin
For the Streusel Topping
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp cold unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar

Instructions:

0. Pre-heat oven to 170C / 340F. Grease a cake pan with butter and set aside. I used a deep Pyrex glass dish since that's all I had in hand. Worked perfect.

1. To make the streusel topping - sift the flour and cinnamon together. I just whisked them together well since I didn't have a sieve.

2. Cut the cold butter into small pieces and rub into the flour+cinnamon mixture with fingertips until the streusel comes together like bread crumbs.

3. Add the brown sugar to this.

4. Mix well and set aside until needed.


5. For the cake sponge - take the softened butter in a large enough bowl. My butter was still cold so I cut it into small pieces to speed up the softening process.

6. Add the sugar to this and cream together until well combined and soft.

7. Add the egg and vanilla.

8. Beat well with a whisk until combined. You can also use an electric beater or stand mixer but it's not really needed.


9. In a bowl, whisk the flour, salt, and baking powder together. Add this to the egg mixture in 3 additions and whisk the batter gently. Pour into the greased pan.

10. Layer the sliced apples on top. You can make this layer as thick or thin as you like.

11. Sprinkle the streusel on top.

12. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 35-40 mins or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out with moist crumbs. Cool and cut into slices.

This cake tastes great with a dollop of vanilla ice cream or vanilla flavoured sweetened yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment