ads1

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Vegan Mango Bundt Cake Recipe - Eggless Mango Cake Recipe

How to make Vegan Mango Cake

I brought back 4kg of mangoes when I came back after my two-week vacation back home. 4-5 days after I got back, they all they started ripening at the same time and pretty rapidly at that. I started panicking and quickly looked up mango dessert recipes. After indulging in a good amount of mango lassi and mango milkshake, I was still left with more mangoes than we could just eat up (what a lovely lovely problem to have!) so I started looking for mango dessert recipes. Although I was tempted to make the no-bake mango cheesecake, the fact that we would both end up finishing it in 2 days deterred me. Another great idea to use up ripe mangoes this mango season would be this 3-ingredient mango ice-cream, or even this delicious mango lassi recipe.

Vegan Mango Bundt Cake Recipe

Since I was out of eggs, I started searching for eggless mango cakes. Quite a few popped up and most had some other ingredient that I didn't have either - like sour cream or buttermilk. Then I saw this vegan mango cake recipe in Holy Cow Vegan and decided this is it! A cake flavoured with mango and cardamom, what's not to love, eh?

Vegan Mango Bundt Cake Recipe

I've always wanted to take an artistic shot like this. Since I don't use a tripod, it was tricky. Shaking the sieve with my left hand and holding camera and clicking with the right (all the while fearing that the camera would fall and the lens would break *shudder*)

Vegan Mango Bundt Cake Recipe

Vegan Mango Bundt Cake Recipe
Serves 10
Adapted from: Holy Cow Vegan

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cardamom powder
1 1/2 cups ripe mango puree
1/3 cup neutral oil (vegetable, canola, etc)
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 350F / 180C.

2. In a bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, salt and cardamom powder well together.

3. In another bowl, whisk the mango puree, oil, sugar and vanilla until well combined. Add this to the flour mixture and fold until there are no traces of flour left. Don't overmix, just use your hand whisk or a silicon spatula to do this.

4. Transfer to a a greased bundt pan and bake in the pre-heated oven until the cake is cooked through and a skewer passed through it comes out with a few crumbs in the end. It took my cake about 40 mins to reach this stage.

Transfer to a cooling rack, dust with some icing sugar and serve warm or at room temperature with some mango puree drizzled over it if you'd like.

Vegan Mango Bundt Cake Recipe

Notes:
- Although this cake came out just fine, I realised that I am not a fan of eggless cakes using oil as a substitute. I think the mental image that this piece of cake has oil in it turns me off. Although for this mango cake, the flavour of oil was at a minimum, I would just add 1/2 a cup of melted butter next time when I try it. Of course, then it will no longer be vegan.

- If you don't have fresh ripe mangoes in stock, just use canned mango puree. Works just as fine too.

Also, HUGE thanks to Sakshi for the super cute cake stand she gifted me while we met and roamed around the Bay Area and SFO. You the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment