ads1

Monday, July 21, 2014

How to Make Mushroom Fried Rice - Easy Step by Step Recipe


Learn how to make Mushroom Fried Rice - an easy Indian Chinese recipe with fresh mushrooms.

Mushrooms are a favourite at home, that shouldn't be a secret to you guys if you've been reading me long enough. I prepare fried rice quite regularly too but this is the first time I'd combined mushrooms and fried rice to make this delicious dish. I paired it with chilli paneer with gravy and it was a fabulous meal.

As with most of my cooking, you don't need a lot of ingredients to make fried rice, but the ones that I use are mostly mandatory for you to get the right flavour. One of them is celery and I recommend not making fried rice unless you have some in hand to throw in. I also find that using basmati rice gives mushroom fried rice a more Indian flavour - which we enjoy.

how to make indian mushroom fried rice recipe

It's winter in Sydney and I find myself adding a touch more heat to my dishes, chilli flakes in the case of this fried rice. I'm also spending less time chopping and preparing vegetables - it's just too cold to be handling chilled vegetables from the refrigerator and washing them, preparing them, etc. Mushrooms are the easiest to chop up and this fried rice needs very little else. You can, of course, thrown in some chopped vegetables like carrots and beans but I preferred to keep it clean and mushroom-heavy this time around.

If you love fried rice, check out my egg fried rice recipe, veg fried rice, and the popular chicken fried rice recipe. Fried rice goes great with most Indian-Chinese side dishes. You may also wish to try this mushroom biryani recipe.

MUSHROOM FRIED RICE RECIPE

Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Serves 2-3

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups of cooked (or leftover) basmati rice
1 cup of finely chopped mushrooms (I used white button mushrooms + some shiitake mushrooms)
1/2 cup of chopped onions
1 tsp of minced garlic
1/2 tsp of grated ginger
1/2 tsp of red chilli flakes (optional)
2 tbsp of chopped celery
1 tsp black or white pepper powder
2 stalks of spring onions, chopped
1.5 tsp soya sauce
2 tbsp oil
Salt

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Heat oil in a pan and add the onions. Cook until they turn translucent. Then add the ginger and garlic and saute for a minute until fragrant.
how to make indian mushroom fried rice recipe-2

2. Turn heat to high and add the soya sauce.
how to make indian mushroom fried rice recipe-3

3. Cook for 10 seconds and then add the mushrooms and celery. Continue to stir-fry on high heat until the mushrooms shrivel and turn softer.
how to make indian mushroom fried rice recipe-4

4. Now add the chilli flakes and salt. Mix well.
how to make indian mushroom fried rice recipe-5

5. Add cooked rice to this along with the chopped spring onions and pepper powder. Mix well and do a taste test to see if the pepper flavour is coming through. If not, add more.
how to make indian mushroom fried rice recipe-6

All done!
how to make indian mushroom fried rice recipe-7

Notes:

1. Make sure to cook rice just enough so that the grains remain separate. I've shared how I do it in my how to prepare rice for fried rice post
2. Add any other vegetable you'd like. Some green peas wouldn't be a bad idea

For mushroom fried rice recipe in Hindi, Tamil, Urdu, Marathi, Telugu, etc, please use the Google Translate button in the sidebar.

No comments:

Post a Comment