ads1

Monday, June 24, 2013

Quick & Easy Pizza Crust Recipe (30-Min Pizza Dough from Scratch)

Pizza is TH's absolute favourite food of all times. That and Palak Paneer - in fact I am planning to combine the two soon and try a fusion version! Wherever we travel to we taste the local pizza from there, he's that into it. On that note, the Japanese make amazing pizza (among almost all other things) and their version with mayo and sweet corn is incredible. So anyway, since he loves pizza so much and Pizza Hut is not exactly the healthiest of choices, I make pizza at home as often as I can. I make the dough for the pizza base in bulk and refrigerate it to use it on a weeknight. In fact, if you have all the ingredients for the topping, pizza is a super quick weeknight meal that requires very litte hands-on time.

Quick and easy pizza crust (30 min pizza dough recipe)

The pizza recipe that I always default to is the one I made with Gouda cheese. The original recipe is from PW and I have tweaked it over many attempts to make it my own. But a couple of weeks back, I had about 1 hour to make lunch and I wanted a super quick and easy pizza base to throw some topping on and bake while I cleaned up the kitchen (ok fine, while TH cleaned up the kitchen!).

Quick and easy pizza crust (30 min pizza dough recipe)
Super spongy and soft pizza base in 30 mins - win!

This recipe hit the mark and it had so many rave reviews that I had to try it. The result was fabulous and I make a thick crust with loads of tomatoes and capsicum, just the way TH likes it. I also had some almost-limp broccoli which I threw into the mix. Let your imagination go wild, I really have no fixed recipe for pizza since the toppings are pretty much what I have in hand but this pizza dough recipe, it sure is a keeper!

QUICK & EASY PIZZA DOUGH RECIPE

Preparation time: 5 minutes
Rising time: 25 minutes
Makes 1 hearty 12" pizza
Serves 4
Recipe source: bestrecipes.com.au

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups of plain flour / maida
  • 2 and 1/4 tsp (one sachet) of instant or active dry yeast (I use and recommend Fleischmann Yeast)
  • 1 tsp of sugar
  • 1 tsp of salt
  • 2 tbsp of olive oil
  • 1/2 cup of warm water

How to make the Pizza Dough:

1. Combine all the ingredients and gently knead with fingertips until a slightly sticky dough forms. You don't have to knead too much, just until the dough forms. In the Kitchenaid, it took me about 3 mins.
Quick & Easy Pizza Crust Recipe (30-Min Pizza Dough)

2. Place in an oiled bowl and turn the dough so the oil coats it. Cover with a damp kitchen towel and let it rise for about 20-25 mins or until doubled in volume. In sunny Singapore, it barely took me 25 mins.

3. Punch down the dough and knead lightly until it forms a ball. Transfer to a floured surface.
Quick & Easy Pizza Crust Recipe (30-Min Pizza Dough)

4. Roll the dough into a circle or rectangle, flouring it as you go. You can make two smaller pizzas, use half the dough and refrigerate the rest, or just make one large pizza like I did. I just transferred the dough to my baking tray and used my fingertips to flatten it.

5. First, add some tomato sauce (if you are using it). My easy pizza sauce involves about 4 tbsp canned tomato sauce boiled for 2 mins with some dried basil and oregano with some salt. Add some cheddar cheese on top and then pile on any vegetables you wish to use. I have used broccoli, cherry tomatoes, onion, and some capsicum.
Quick & Easy Pizza Crust Recipe (30-Min Pizza Dough)

6. Sprinkle more salt + oregano on top and bake for about 15 mins in a pre-heated oven at 200C. The vegetables will get charred a bit and the base will turn a lovely golden brown.
Quick & Easy Pizza Crust Recipe (30-Min Pizza Dough)

Notes:
  1. As I mentioned, go crazy with your own idea for toppings for the pizza
  2. The dough can be refrigerated for a day or two but it will continue to rise slowly. If you plan to use it after a day, I'd recommend refrigerating the dough as soon as you have mixed it up; don't let it rise outside
  3. I find that my homemade pizza always lacks salt so I increased the amount of salt in this than the original recipe. It was still on the less-salty category so keep that in mind if you try this quick and easy pizza dough

No comments:

Post a Comment