ads1

Friday, May 31, 2013

Andhra Pesarattu Recipe - Pesarattu Dosa with Green Moong Dal

The first time I even heard the word Pesarattu was during my 2.5 year life in Hyderabad. We used to go to Chutneys, a popular south Indian vegetarian restaurant that had all kinds of (arguably overpriced) dosas and idlis, pesarattu with upma being one of their chefs recommendations. I don't care much for upma so if you give it to me wrapped in a pesarattu, a combination I was not even familiar with, it doesn't really make it more appealing.

andhra pesarattu recipe-pesarattu dosa with green moong

However, a friend of mine was crazy about this. He would order upma pesarattu every time and then another dish that would rank last in my wishlist - idli! I would just order my oothappam or masala dosa and enjoy it with their delicious chutneys.

andhra pesarattu recipe-pesarattu dosa with green moong

But one day I took a bite out of his pesarattu and liked it. I am sorry this story doesn't have a happier ending like "I was blown away with the first bite of my pesarattu". It was nice, I liked it. I like different kinds of dosas, ada dosa being my favourite move away from the conventional. I forgot all about the pesarattu until I was left with a large batch of whole green moong by a friend moving out of the country and I decided to soak some and make my first batch of pesarattu at home.

andhra pesarattu recipe-pesarattu dosa with green moong

Paired with the tiffin sambar, coriander chutney and ginger chutney or Andhra allam pachadi (store-bought), it was quite a treat! Different from the usual dosa and quite nutritious, pesarattu will find its way into my dinner menu quite often now.

ANDHRA PESARATTU DOSA RECIPE

Preparation time: 4 hours
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Makes ~10 dosas
Recipe reference: Simply South by Chandra Padmanabhan

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup whole green moong
  • 1/4 cup of raw rice
  • A small piece of ginger
  • A small bunch of coriander leaves (cilantro)
  • 2 cloves of garlic (optional)
  • 2 green chillies
  • 2 tbsp of oil, for drizzling on dosa while cooking
  • 1/4 cup of minced onions for garnish (optional)

How to Make Pesarattu:

1. Soak the moong dal and rice together for at least 4 hours or overnight if possible. Grind together with rest of the ingredients and some salt + water
andhra pesarattu dosa recipe

2. The batter will be coarse and you can adjust the thickness to your preference, not making it too watery. I prefer spongier pesarattu so keep my batter a bit on the thicker side - more thicker than regular dosa batter.
andhra pesarattu recipe-pesarattu dosa with green moong

3. Heat a tawa and spread one ladle-full of batter into a dosa.
andhra pesarattu recipe-pesarattu dosa with green moong

Spread it thinner for a crisper version, it's entirely up to you. Drizzle with some oil and spread the minced onions on top (if using).

Sidenote: since I always use my left hand now for making dosas and such (the right hand being occupied by the camera), I think I can safely say I am becoming ambidextrous! Ah, the joys of food blogging.
andhra pesarattu recipe-pesarattu dosa with green moong

4. Flip over when the first side is cooked. You can also cover and cook the dosa without cooking, especially if you are serving the pesarattu with an upma filling (check notes).
andhra pesarattu recipe-pesarattu dosa with green moong

When both sides are cooked, remove from tawa and serve hot with spicy andhra ginger chutney or allam pachadi. I love pesarattu with coconut-based chutneys like this coconut coriander chutney.

Notes:
  1. Pesarattu is mostly served with a filling of rava upma. You can add a mound to the centre of the dosa after shaping the dosa and cooking it covered for a few minutes
  2. The batter keeps in the refrigerator for up to 2 days
  3. For a more nutritious pesarattu, use moong dal sprouts instead of the whole beans
  4. You can add rice flour instead of raw rice but grinding the rice along with the dal gives a coarse texture to the pesarattu which I personally love 

No comments:

Post a Comment