ads1

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Easy Basic Cake Pops Recipe ~ How to Make Cake Pops at Home

Cake pops have been done to death and they were not really on my to-make list. However, they are cute and hard to resist and I wanted to make cake pops at home using the simplest and quickest recipe possible so I had to put on my thinking cap and finally zero in on making cake pops.

Easy Basic Cake Pops Recipe

This was part of a group that I was cooking with and since we are 8 people in the group, the host this month decided to give each of us one colour from the rainbow and white. I drew the lot and got blue. Since blue doesn't occur in (many) natural foods, I had to think outside the box. My first thought was blue frosting or something but then I got lazy as Christmas drew near so ended up with blue-topped cake pops!
Easy Basic Cake Pops Recipe

To get started, you need candy melts in a colour of your choice, and lollypop sticks. You can be creative and use straws or whatever you want as long as they hold the cake pops up.

Ingredients the cake balls:
Cake
Frosting
Almond meal (optional)

Ingredients for the candy coating:
Candy melt
Vegetable oil

To assemble:
Lined baking tray
Lollypop sticks

Let's get started!

You need a few pieces of cake. I used some leftover one-bowl chocolate cake.

Easy Basic Cake Pops Recipe

Use a fork to crumble it well without any large lumps.

Easy Basic Cake Pops Recipe

Next, bring out your frosting. I used frosting from a can. Don't add too much. You should use just enough to bring the cake mixture together to make a ball and for it to hold it's shape.

Easy Basic Cake Pops Recipe

 I added a bit too much frosting so mixed in some almond meal to compensate. Ended up tasting great.

Easy Basic Cake Pops Recipe

Make into small balls and lay on a lined baking tray. Refrigerate this for about 2 hours or freeze for 30 mins.

Easy Basic Cake Pops Recipe

Meanwhile. Take about 1 cup candy melts in a microwave safe bowl and melt in 30 second intervals until it begins to soften. If you don't own a microwave, try placing this in a pan of boiling water and gently stir until it melts.

Easy Basic Cake Pops Recipe

The mixture was very thick for me so I added 2 tbsp vegetable oil. Don't worry, this doesn't alter the taste at all. However, the mixture was still very thick and not at all like the videos I saw of people using Wilton Candy Melts. But I trudged on anyway.

Easy Basic Cake Pops Recipe

Once the cake balls have chilled enough, dip one end of the lollypop stick into the candy melt and stick it 3/4 of the way into the cake balls. Do this for every cake ball and return to the refrigerator for another hour for it to set (or freezer for 15 mins).

Easy Basic Cake Pops Recipe

Once the cake balls have chilled again, coat completely with the candy melt. You are supposed to dip the cake balls in the mixture and tap off excess but my mixture was super thick so I could only slather it on. Probably the candy melts I bought from Phoon Huat were too old or something. Tasted fine though.

Easy Basic Cake Pops Recipe

Return to the refrigerator or freezer for another hour and let it set completely.

Easy Basic Cake Pops Recipe

Bite in!

Cake pops make great kids' party food. The quantities will largely depend on the kind of cake and frosting you are using so use your judgement. Just make sure the cake ball dough is not loose at all. It should just about come together when you roll them into balls.

No comments:

Post a Comment