ads1

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Bombay Potatoes Recipe - Spicy Indian Potato Recipe

Bombay potatoes or spicy baby potatoes recipe - I have taken a longer break from blogging than I would have liked but a lot of work-related (and fun) travel took a toll on my routine, not to mention some very exciting stuff happening on the work front. I am really swamped but in a good way!

This Bombay potatoes recipe is from my saved recipes collection, something I've wanted to share for a while because it's just too easy and delicious to hold back for long. I am yet to sort through the gazillion pics I took in New York, so hopefully that happens soon too.

Bombay Potatoes Curry Recipe

If you are from Bombay, I'd be very interested to know if you have actually heard about Bombay potatoes. I heard about it first from my British colleague whose first question to me when I told her I have a food blog was "oh, so can I find the recipe for Bombay Potatoes in there?". I contemplated telling her I've never heard of them and eventually did, to which she responded by describing the dish in detail.

Since then I have looked up several recipes for Bombay Potatoes and now here's my take on it. I don't want folks from UK searching on this and not finding what they believe is a dish that's originally from Bombay.

If you love Indian potato recipes with some spice in there, then you must try this potato beans curry, aloo bonda - a quick snack with potatoes, potatoes in coriander sauce, or spicy baby potato roast.

Bombay Potatoes Recipe

Serves 4

Ingredients:
20 baby potatoes
1 large onion, chopped
1 tomato, chopped (or 2 tsp tomato paste)
2 tsp of ginger garlic paste
1 tbsp of coriander powder
1/2 tsp of cumin powder
1 large pinch of turmeric
1 tsp of red chilli powder
2 tbsp of oil
1/4 tsp of mustard seeds
1 dry red chilli, torn into half
1/2 of a green bell pepper, cut into small pieces
A few curry leaves

Instructions:

1. Cook the potatoes in an open pan with enough water to cover it until it's tender when a fork is inserted. I usually pressure cook them for one whistle so that works too. You can either peel the potatoes or leave them as is.

2. Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. When they begin to pop, add the dry red chilli, onions and curry leaves. Saute until the onions turn a light golden brown.

3. Add the ginger garlic paste and fry for another 2-3 mins until it turns fragrant.

4. Next, add the spices - red chilli powder, turmeric, cumin, coriander - and some salt. Mix well and fry on low heat for 4-5 mins taking care not to burn the mixture.

5. Now add the cut tomatoes and bell pepper and sprinkle some water. Cook until the tomatoes are mushy and the oil starts separating from the mixture.

6. Add the cooked potatoes, lower heat, and gently mix until the masala coats the potatoes. Cook until well combined and blended - around 5 mins. You can sprinkle some garam masala at this stage but I chose not to.

Bombay Potatoes Curry Recipe

Serve Bombay potatoes with some steamed rice and cumin dal or thakkali rasam

No comments:

Post a Comment