ads1

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

New Year Morning Waffles Recipe (Basic Waffles Recipe)

Basic Waffles Recipe

Most of you may already know this if you are in my Facebook list but here's the formal announcement - I bought a KitchenAid! It may not be a big deal to some but I had been wanting one for ages now and kept pushing back because of lack of counter space in my previous apartment kitchen and, its pretty expensive here in Singapore. Anyway, things worked out, we moved, and now I own one!

DSC_0585-2

I wanted to use it the first day of the year (don't ask me why!) and decided to make waffle batter in it. Waffles are one of my favourite foods of all time and I have owned a waffle iron for a while but don't make it as often as I'd like.

I should though. In fact, I should make waffles for dinner, that's what I should do.

Basic Easy Waffles Recipe
Adapted from 3 Many Cooks
Makes 6

INGREDIENTS:
1 egg, separated
1 cup buttermilk (I used 1/2 cup homemade yogurt mixed with 1/2 cup water)
1 cup plain flour
2 tbsp sugar (adjust to taste or omit completely)
1/2 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp cooking oil (I used olive oil)

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. You don't need a stand mixer for this but if you do, just dunk in the following ingredients and mix it up on speed 2 for 1-2 mins. If you don't, just do the same with your hand whisk in a bowl. First add the flour and sugar..

DSC_0525-2

2. Followed by the buttermilk..

DSC_0526-2

3. Egg yolk..

DSC_0530-2

4. Baking powder and baking soda..

DSC_0531-2

5. Salt..

DSC_0533-2

6. And oil..

DSC_0534-2

7. Mix mix mix for about 2 mins or so on low speed. Then set aside.

DSC_0540-2

8. Now you need to beat the egg whites until stiff. I used my hand-held whisk for this.

DSC_0545-2

9. Whip well until soft peaks form on the top of the beaten egg whites.

DSC_0552-2

10. Add to the batter you've prepared and fold in gently without over-mixing.

DSC_0553-2

11. Heat your waffle iron until smoking hot.

DSC_0556-2

12. Add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup batter to the iron depending on the size of your iron. Remove when golden brown all over - mine took about 3 mins.

DSC_0565-2

I know there are 12 steps up there for a simple waffle recipe but its because I took very detailed pictures to show the steps. Its really a very easy and yummy breakfast to make so go ahead, buy that waffle iron if you don't have one already (Huge thanks to Darsh for lugging mine all the way from the US) Even if you use it only once or twice a month like I do, its still worth it.

DSC_0576-2

It was too early in the morning so I slightly burnt my waffles. But you still think I'm a decent cook right? Thanks! I knew confessing to you all would be totally safe :) Serve with a dusting of icing sugar or maple syrup to camouflage the burnt parts ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment