ads1

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Dahi Ke Kabab Recipe | Quick and Easy Snack Recipes

I have an absolutely brilliant banana cake recipe I want to share with you but I am not happy with how the pictures have turned out. (Update: Here's the Best Ever Banana Cake Recipe) This is the first time I feel like I shouldn't share an okay picture because the recipe is that fabulous and I don't want even one single person to look at the picture and go, "ah looks meh, I am not going to try this" because they are missing out on a LOT.

Phew, talk about passion and banana cake recipes.

Moving on, here's a really nice snack recipe that I flicked from Nita Mehta's Taste of Amritsar (I think). I saw the book in the library and mentally jotted down the recipe. I made it out of memory so forgive if there's something missing as far as authenticity goes. I don't know this cuisine well at all.

IMG_4649

They turned out really really fab. She had also given the recipe for a hot and sweet onion chutney (which I have slathered on the kebabs) and the combination was really mind blowing. Everything comes together in about 30 mins and its this long only because you need hung curd for the recipe.

IMG_4633

The batter needs to be really thick because you are going to shape them and deep fry them. It will be a bit sticky so use wet hands to shape the kebabs.

IMG_4640

Dahi Ke Kabab with Onion Chutney
Source: Nita Mehta
Makes about 12 kababs

Ingredients

For the Kababs:
1 cup hung curd (take about 1.5 cups curd in a muslin cloth and hang over the sink for atleast 2 hours)
1/2 cup besan
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
2 pods green cardamom, powdered
2 cloves, powdered
A pinch of powdered cinnamon (optional, I didn't add any)
Salt to taste

For the Chutney:
1 large onion, sliced thin
1 green cardamom, crushed
2 dry red chilly
1 clove of garlic
A pinch of hing / asafoetida
2 tsp oil
Salt to taste

How to Make Dahi Ke Kababs


For the Kababs

1. Hang the curd as mentioned for atleast 2 hours until you get a thick, sticky resulting mixture. To this, add the rest of the ingredients to make a thick paste-like batter. Don't add any water - if you find the mixture too thick, add milk by the tsp and if you find it too thin, add besan by the tsp.

2. Heat oil until almost smoking, shape dough into small, flat kebabs and deep fry until golden brown on both sides. Serve immediately with the onion chutney.

For Chutney (I recommend making this first since the kababs have to be served HOT)

- Heat oil and saute onions until golden brown. Add the chilly, salt, crushed cardamom, hing and garlic, give it a stir before removing from fire.

- Cool and grind to a smooth paste without water.

IMG_4675

PS: The measurements and ingredients given in this recipe are approximate so please adjust to your own taste.

PPS: The pictures in this post were taken with my old camera - Canon SX10 IS :)

No comments:

Post a Comment